Evolution: What Fossils Tell Us
March 8, 2012
Workshop for Middle and High School Teachers
August 22, 23, and 24, 2012
10 a.m. - 1p.m. each day
Overnight Fossil Collecting Field Trip: September 29-30
August Workshops at the Academy
Working with Academy scientist Dr. Ted Daeschler and the Academy's world-class fossil collections, participants will:
- Learn how scientists search for, collect, and study fossils.
- Investigate transitional fossils, such as Tiktaalik, and their importance to understanding the evolution of major taxonomic groups.
- Learn how fossils and modern molecular studies allow scientists to make predictable and testable evolutionary hypotheses.
- Acquire practical lesson plans and resources to implement with your students in the classroom.
September 29-30 Fossil Collecting Field Trip
- Participants will have a chance to visit and collect fossils at Red Hill, Devonian fossil collection site in central Pennsylvania.
- Participants will gain hands-on experience in how fossils are found, collected, curated and studied.
For more information, contact:
Timshel Purdum, Senior Manager of Education
firstname.lastname@example.org or 215-405-5071
To register, contact Reservations at 215-299-1060.