Experience the Academy after dark. Enjoy interactive activities and meet some of our live animals—all with the guidance of the Academy’s experienced naturalists!
Break to socialize and enjoy refreshments and snacks. Sleep next to lions, tigers, or Tyrannosaurus rex. Awake to a light breakfast and more exploration. Each child receives a participation patch.
Friends & Family Overnights are open to the public.
- Saturday, February 1, 2014 (see information below about our special Dinosaur Overnight)
- Friday, March 14, 2014 (SOLD OUT)
Ferocious Safari Overnight: Dinosaurs!
Join us for a Dino-rific friends and family overnight on Saturday, February 1, 2014. This one-of-a-kind overnight will feature a complete evening of everything dinosaur, plus access to our special Dinosaurs Unearthed exhibit at a special rate of $3 extra per person. Get ready for a roaring fun overnight!
Scouts and their families can have fun while completing requirements at our special Scout Overnights for Brownies, Junior Girl Scouts, Cub Scouts, or Webelos.
Sample Schedule for Friends & Family Overnights
- 6:30–7 pm
- 7–7:10 pm
- 7:15–8:30 pm
- Open Exploration
4–6 activities such as:
- Bears, Bats, and Bugs (what to find while camping)
- Behind-the-Scenes Tours
- Dinosaur Dig
- Dissecting Dioramas
- Not-So-Creepy Crawlies
- Outside In
- Scavenger Hunt
- 8:30–9 pm
- 9–10 pm
- Open Exploration
(see the list above)
- 10–10:30 pm
- Live Animal Show
- 10:30–11 pm
- Bedtime Setup
- 10:30–11 pm
- Movie begins
- 7 am
- Rise and Shine
- 7–8 am
- 8–9 am
- Purchase T-Shirts,
Pick Up Patches,
Gift Shop Open,
- 9 am
- Gear must depart the building but you can stay!
Safari Overnight Details
- 6:30 pm to 9 am; Check-in is 6:30–7 pm.
- Safari Overnights are appropriate for children ages 7–14. One adult is required per three children. No outside food or drink is permitted, and extra large sleeping mattresses are discouraged.
- Call 215-299-1060.
- $40 for members
$45 for nonmembers
- A nonrefundable deposit of $10 per person is due upon registration. Final numbers and balance must be submitted at least three weeks prior to your overnight date. There will be no refunds given after this date.
- If you cancel:
- If you do not pay your balance in full three weeks prior to the overnight date, you may lose your reservation. Membership information must be returned three weeks before the event; no fee adjustments will be made after that date.
- If we cancel:
- The Academy may cancel a Safari Overnight if there aren’t enough participants. If so, we’ll notify you two weeks prior to the event. We’ll try to arrange another overnight for you. If not, you’ll be granted a full refund.
- Emergency Weather Cancellation Policy
- In times of severe weather conditions, it may be necessary to cancel the Safari Overnight. The Academy’s Reservation Office will make the decision to cancel the overnight. Notice of the cancellation will be made at least 12 hours prior to the scheduled overnight. In the event of a weather-related cancellation, the Academy will attempt to reschedule the overnight. If rescheduling is not possible, a full refund will be provided.
- Trip Coordinator's Checklist
Parking and Directions
Information for Parents/Chaperones
Interested in a different date? Private overnights can be arranged for groups of 100–300 participants. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 215-299-1060.