Experience the Academy’s towering dinosaurs—including T. rex—after dark! Your action-packed night at the museum barely leaves room for shut-eye.
Friends and Family Overnights are perfect for scout groups, birthday parties, kids’ clubs, sports team retreats, and more.
Start with opportunities to enjoy behind-the-scenes tours, dig for dinosaur bones, and come face-to-face with the animals in our dioramas. Go on a scavenger hunt, play in the sandbox, or inspect some not-so-creepy crawlies. Break to hang out with your fellow explorers, and enjoy delicious snacks. Take some free time to explore every corner of the Academy’s famous exhibits, and then sit back and relax as we bring you a fascinating live animal show.
When it’s finally time for bed, pick your spot next to lions, tigers, or Tyrannosaurus rex. Waking up early? A light breakfast and another whole day to explore the museum await.
Schedule a Private Overnight
Can’t make it to our public overnights? Do you have a special date in mind? Develop your guest list and contact us to reserve the museum just for your own private group of 100 to 300. Contact email@example.com or 215-299-1060 for more information.
Want an overnight just for adults? Pack a sleeping bag, put on your pj’s, and leave the kids at home for a night you’ll spend eating, drinking, meeting live animals, and exploring the underbelly of the Academy. Click here for more information.
Upcoming Friends & Family Overnights
Saturday, February 21, 2015
Saturday, April 18, 2015
Cub scouts, Weblos and their families can have fun while completing requirements at our special Boy Scout ONLY Overnight. See our Cub Scouts and Webelos pages for details.
Sample Schedule for Friends & Family Overnights
- 6:30–7 pm
- 7–7:10 pm
- 7:15–8:30 pm
- Open Exploration
4–6 activities such as:
- Bears, Bats, and Bugs (what to find while camping)
- Behind-the-Scenes Tours
- Dinosaur Dig
- Dissecting Dioramas
- Not-So-Creepy Crawlies
- Outside In
- Scavenger Hunt
- 8:30–9 pm
- 9–10 pm
- Open Exploration
(see the list above)
- 10–10:30 pm
- Live Animal Show
- 10:30–11 pm
- Bedtime Setup
- 10:30–11 pm
- Movie begins
- 7 am
- Rise and Shine
- 7–8 am
- 8–9 am
- Purchase T-Shirts,
Pick Up Patches,
Gift Shop Open,
- 9 am
- Gear must depart the building but you can stay!
Safari Overnight Details
- 6:30 pm to 9 am; Check-in is 6:30–7 pm.
- Safari Overnights are appropriate for children ages 7–14. One adult is required per three children. No outside food or drink is permitted, and extra large sleeping mattresses are discouraged.
- Call 215-299-1060.
- $40 for members
$45 for nonmembers
- A nonrefundable deposit of $10 per person is due upon registration. Final numbers and balance must be submitted at least three weeks prior to your overnight date. There will be no refunds given after this date.
- If you cancel:
- If you do not pay your balance in full three weeks prior to the overnight date, you may lose your reservation. Membership information must be returned three weeks before the event; no fee adjustments will be made after that date.
- If we cancel:
- The Academy may cancel a Safari Overnight if there aren’t enough participants. If so, we’ll notify you two weeks prior to the event. We’ll try to arrange another overnight for you. If not, you’ll be granted a full refund.
- Emergency Weather Cancellation Policy
- In times of severe weather conditions, it may be necessary to cancel the Safari Overnight. The Academy’s Reservation Office will make the decision to cancel the overnight. Notice of the cancellation will be made at least 12 hours prior to the scheduled overnight. In the event of a weather-related cancellation, the Academy will attempt to reschedule the overnight. If rescheduling is not possible, a full refund will be provided.
- Trip Coordinator's Checklist
Parking and Directions
Information for Parents/Chaperones
Interested in a different date? Private overnights can be arranged for groups of 100–300 participants. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 215-299-1060.