Ocean Fest Featuring the Philadelphia Shell Show
October 18–19, 2014
10 a.m–5 p.m
Join us on Saturday and Sunday, October 18–19, for Ocean Fest featuring the Philadelphia Shell Show. As always, thousands of shells will be on display and for sale. Here are some highlights for your family to enjoy:
- Enter an ocean immersion room and experience the sights and sounds of the deep.
- Dissect a shark and see shark specimens.
- Watch live shows featuring live animals from the ocean.
- Search the shell beach for shells to take home.
- Listen to ocean-themed stories in Outside In.
- Cheer some speedy snails to victory in the clockwork snail races, plus meet their slightly slower live snail counterparts.
Ocean Fest is part of the Philadelphia Shell Show, the largest show of its kind in the Northeast. The show features competitive displays by collectors and amateur scientists as well as chances to shop an international shell market and go behind the scenes to see some of the 10 million specimens in the Academy’s Malacology Collection, the third largest in the world. Ocean Fest is free with museum admission.
Chocolate: The Exhibition will be open during Ocean Fest.