Evening soirée featuring quirky science, potent libations, off-script tours, and more
Knock 3.14159 times on Door 19 for admission to an oddly charming evening that will forever change how you think about science. Curated for the curious, Door 19 is quirky science meets themed soiree, set against a backdrop of live performances, music, potent libations, and dinosaurs.
For only four nights this year, you will have the chance to go beyond the galleries and into specimen collections off-limits to visitors, alongside experts who will bring our coolest specimens out to play. Our rogue scientists will go a little bit off script to share their most incredible knowledge—from prohibition-era mixology to dinosaur foreplay. You’ll be reminded that no, in fact, you haven’t seen it all—far from it.
Door 19 is a series of four events each year. Here are the dates and topics for 2018:
Thursday, February 15: The Mating Game, in partnership with Eight Oaks Craft Distillers
Thursday, April 12: Off The Hook, in partnership with Flying Fish Brewing Co.
Thursday, June 14: Boozy Botanicals, in partnership with Boardroom Spirits Distillery
Thursday, October 18: Skeletons in our Closet, in partnership with Eight Oaks Craft Distillers
Door 19: Boozy Botanicals
June 14, 2018
In partnership with Boardroom Spirits Distillery
In an era when Prohibition was law and bathtub gin was king, the sweet aromas of botanicals often veiled the taste of bad booze. On June 14, don your flapper dress or fedora (or come as you are), and travel back in time with us to a night inspired by the flora and fauna of the Roaring 20s.
- Warm up at our open bar featuring Boardroom Spirits Distillery
- Explore how plants and insects are critical to your favorite evening libations
- Take enchanting behind-the-scenes tours of our Botany and Entomology collections—included with your ticket price
- Make your own herbal tincture to take home with Greensgrow Farm's secret farmer, ari rosenberg, and local herbalist, Marian Dalke
- Make (and taste) botanical simple syrups from herbs you can grow at home with urban farmers from Urbanstead
- Dare to try some tasty bug treats
- Get up close and personal with live bugs, including tarantulas
- See giant bugs come to life in our special exhibit, Xtreme Bugs
- Identify a ladybug and have your name preserved for centuries and beyond on an Academy ladybug specimen
- Eat great food from our exclusive caterer, 12th St. Catering (Vegetarian options available)
- Enjoy live jazz with saxophonist Victor North and vocalist Meg Clifton North
- Did we mention the open bar?
April 23 – May 7 - $65 Public/$55 Members
May 8 – May 29 - $75 Public/$65 Members
May 30 – June 11 - $85 Public/$65 Members