Door 19: Off the Hook
Thursday, April 12, 2018
6:00 PM-9:00 PM
Knock 3.14159 times on Door 19 for admission to an oddly charming evening that will forever change how you think about science. Curated for the curious, Door 19 is quirky science meets themed soiree, set against a backdrop of live performances, music, potent libations, and dinosaurs.
For only four nights this year, you will have the chance to go beyond the galleries and into specimen collections off-limits to visitors, alongside experts who will bring our coolest specimens out to play. Our rogue scientists will go a little bit off script to share their most incredible knowledge—from prohibition-era mixology to dinosaur foreplay. You’ll be reminded that no, in fact, you haven’t seen it all—far from it.
Water literally keeps us alive, but have you ever really considered what water means to animals that live in our streams, rivers, lakes, and oceans? Join us for a wet and wild evening featuring museum specimens and live animals, as we tackle topics ranging from aquatic ecology and freshwater critters to what it means to live a briny life inside a shell.
- Warm up at our open bar featuring Flying Fish Brewing Co.
- Take a seriously amazing behind-the-scenes tours of our most splashy collections, Ichthyology (think reel-y extraordinary fish) and Malacology (think gorgeous marine mollusks)—included with your ticket price (Guys, this is huge)
- Drop in for hands-on muddy, messy mucking-about featuring the wild and wonderful water of the Delaware River with Independence Seaport Museum
- Soak in the peculiarities of weird-things-in-jars
- Shark dissection! Everything you always wanted to know about sharks but were too afraid to ask!
- Make Gyotaku, or fish stone rubbing, a traditional Japanese art of print making
- Listen to catchy live music
- Eat great food from our exclusive caterer, 12th St. Catering
- Did we mention the open bar?
Academy members can save an additional $10 per ticket!
Click here for more details!