June 9–September 10, 2017
Leap into a garden of wonders, where you can experience the magic of a special backyard world. As you ride the bee bike, collect nectar, check out a food web pond, copy critter calls, and even dress up like living creatures, you’ll uncover surprising details about how organisms live and interact in their environments. You can even become a mechanic or engineer by learning the feats of construction that go into building a shed, solving the paver puzzle, and playing garden mini-golf. Figure out how to turn your own garden into a mini-exhibit—you’ll discover more science in your backyard than you’ll ever imagine!
Backyard Adventures is designed and produced by SciTech and produced by Imagine Exhibitions.
Backyard Adventures Member Preview
Thursday, June 8, 5:30—9 p.m.
Registration opening soon!
More about Backyard Adventures
Backyards and parks are full of science! You will learn about:
- The biological interactions between plants and insects
- The know-how that goes into growing giant vegetables
- The mathematical genius needed to lay pavers
- The feats of construction that can go on in the garden shed
- And so much more!
What is there to do in Backyard Adventures?
Did you know that science is in everything and everyone can be a scientist? Get the facts and exercise your imagination as you explore the biodiversity of a backyard garden. Figure out how to see the unseen and take a closer look at the world around you. You can:
- Play backyard-themed mini golf
- Dig in the dirt of an augmented reality garden bed
- Find out how fast you can throw and kick a ball
- Dress as a spider, bee, or ladybug
- Take a walk through our digital garden and observe plants growing in super time
- Create the world’s biggest vegetable
- Using special lenses, see how different creatures such as bees and dogs see the world around us
- Step inside the shed and build something with the tools and objects on the work benches
- Help complete a garden path using oddly shaped pavers
- Try your luck at pollinating flowers and collecting pollen for honey production
- Match critter calls with their sources
Backyard Adventures is $5 for nonmembers in addition to general admission and $3 for individual and family members. Family plus members and above see it free. Tickets will be available for purchase soon! Check back for updates on Backyard Adventures opening weekend, June 9-10, 2017.