A Tropical Garden in Philadelphia
Butterflies! features a lush, tropical garden filled with colorful plants and a multitude of live butterflies from Central and South America, East Africa, and Southeast Asia.
How many kinds of butterflies are there?
It changes every day! The exhibit will usually have between 60 to 150 butterflies and 20 to 40 different species on any given day. Butterflies generally live for one to two weeks, and we receive new butterflies from around the world each week. What’s here one week probably won't be the same as what was here last week.
How many butterflies will you find?
That can depend on how many there are, but it also depends on how well you look.
- Some will be flying. These are often the easiest to spot.
- Some will be eating at food stations. These are good places to get close to the butterflies.
- Some will be resting on plants. Butterflies usually rest with their wings pointing up so you’ll be looking at the undersides of the wings. This side of the wing is often less colorful and may even be camouflaged.
- Some will be resting on the walls or the ceiling.
- Some will be resting on the floor. Watch your step!