Your Member Guide to the Academy
Welcome to the Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University!
As a member of the Academy, you have free year-round general admission to the museum, where you’ll see some of the most surprising and spectacular wonders of the natural world. There is so much you can do with your membership! Take a walk in our live tropical butterfly garden. Stand next to our towering Tyrannosaurus rex and many other Mesozoic creatures in Dinosaur Hall. Attend one of our special weekend festivals where we celebrate bugs, fossils, shells, the Earth, and more!
While you enjoy all of your member benefits throughout the year, you are also providing important support for the Academy’s world-renowned research in biodiversity and environmental science. We appreciate your support and hope you visit us often.
This guide is designed to help you make the most of your membership. If you have any questions regarding your membership, please contact the Membership Department at 215-299-1022 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Planning Your Visit
The Academy is located right in the heart of Philadelphia’s museum district, at the corner of 19th Street and the Benjamin Franklin Parkway. See Directions and Parking for more information.
10 am–4:30 pm, Monday–Friday
10 am–5 pm, Weekends and Holidays
Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day
Members receive special discounts at parking lots near our building.
- Central Parking Systems
- There are several Central Parking Systems locations within one or two blocks of the Academy. To take advantage of Central Systems' member discount, you must print a coupon from their website (listed below) and bring it with you when you park. You can also use the Preferred Customer card that came with your welcome membership materials. Payment must be made by credit card upon parking. For more information on Central Parking and to print out your discount coupons, please visit: philadelphia.centralparking.com.
- Logan Square Garage
- This covered garage is located at 1815 Cherry Street with hourly rates. The discount may be up to $6 off depending on total hours parked. Validate the parking ticket at the museum admissions desk.
- Philadelphia Parking Authority
- The Philadelphia Parking Authority has an open lot at 19th and Callowhill streets (behind the Free Library) that offers reasonable rates. Weekday rates are $8.50 for two hours or $14 for up to 12 hours. Saturdays are $6.50, and the lot is closed on Sundays.
The Membership Department can be reached Monday through Friday, 9 am–5 pm, at 215-299-1022 or by email at email@example.com for assistance with any of the following:
- Benefits information
- Change of address or membership information
- Replacement member cards
- Renewing or upgrading your membership
- Other questions regarding your membership or member events
General Museum Information: 215-299-1000
Birthday Parties: 215-299-1060
Donations to the Academy: 215-299-1122
Event and Facility Rentals: 215-299-1047
Overnight Programs: 215-299-1060
Scout Programs: 215-299-1060
Volunteer Office: 215-299-1029
A Guide to Your Benefits
All members receive the following list of general member benefits plus any additional benefits that are included with your membership level. Please check back for updates!
- Free General Admission to the Museum and Special Exhibits
- Members of the Academy always get into our museum and most special exhibits for free! Just show the admissions desk representative your member card. Don’t have your member card? Contact the Membership Department to request your replacement.
- Exclusive Previews of Academy Exhibits
- Members always have the opportunity to see our exhibits before anyone else! Look for invitations throughout the year to special events and exhibit openings.
- Free, Expedited Admission to Academy Festivals
- Members always get free admission to our festivals, like Paleopalooza and Bug Fest, and as a member, you can also bypass the long lines! Simply go to the members-only check-in table, show us your member card, and enjoy the day.
- Behind-the-Scenes Access
- Every year, members of the Academy are treated to a special Members’ Night where they can meet our staff, see the collections, and experience the breadth and depth of work that takes place behind the scenes.
- Special Members-only Program Discounts
- Members receive special discounts on many of our great programs. Kids’ programs include Safari Overnights, Academy Explorers Camp, Tiny Tot Explorers, birthday parties, and more! Adults receive access and discounts on classes and field studies, lectures and talks, and Mega-Bad Movie Nights.
- Discounts in the Academy Shop and Academy Café
- Enjoy a 10 percent discount in the Academy Shop. Located next to our front desk entrance, the Academy Shop offers a wide variety of nature-inspired items for all ages, including educational toys and activity kits, a wide selection of books and field guides, real fossils and minerals, distinctive jewelry, and Academy-exclusive items. Every purchase made in our shop supports the Academy’s ongoing research activities and educational efforts.
- Members also get 10 percent off food and drink purchases in the Academy Café, located on the ground level next to the 19th Street Entrance. The Café is open during museum hours.
- Academy Kids Club
- If your children like learning about the natural world, they’ll love being members of the Academy Kids Club! The Kids Club is an exciting free member benefit just for kids ages 12 and under. From fun activities and special birthday prizes to a personalized member card, your kids will get to experience the Academy in a whole new way. Sign up online.
- Add One Extra Adult to Your Membership
- Academy memberships are nontransferable. Any adult using a member card to gain entrance into the museum must be listed on the member card. Now you can add your nanny, babysitter, family member, or friend to your membership for just $20 extra per year. The person you add does not need to be part of your household and will receive his or her own membership card. You can make this addition to your membership at the admissions desk on your next visit or by calling the Membership Office at 215-299-1022. Limit one extra adult per membership.
- Discounted Guest Passes
- Members may purchase discounted admission for their guests on the day of their visit or discounted guest passes in advance of the guest’s visit. Members do not need to accompany guests who use guest passes. Members may purchase guest admission or guest passes at the discounted rate of $10 each at the admissions desk on your next visit.
- Free Subscription to Academy Frontiers
- Packed with information on our newest exhibits and the exciting research our scientists are conducting, the Academy’s quarterly member magazine gives our members the inside scoop on Academy happenings.
- Access to the Drexel University Recreation Center
- Academy members now receive special access to facilities and programs at the Drexel Recreation Center, a state-of-the-art athletic facility! Academy members receive special “Affiliate Member” rates on a gym membership at Drexel. But you don’t have to purchase a Drexel gym membership to take advantage of the great programming available to you in the Recreation Center. Now, Academy members (with or without a Drexel gym membership) can purchase personal training sessions, take Pilates classes, get a massage, get a fitness assessment, experience the challenging climbing wall, and even sign up for swim lessons. Download a list of all of the programs and special pricing available to you as an Academy member.
- Membership Discount for the Philadelphia Film Society
- Academy members receive a 15 percent discount for film society membership. See filmadelphia.org/ans-pfs for more information.
- Free Admission to More Great Science and Technology Centers
- Academy members are entitled to free admission to more than 300 science and technology centers throughout the world through the Association of Science -Technology Centers (ASTC) Passport Program. Download a list of museums worldwide that participate in the ASTC Passport Program.
- Please note that science centers or museums located within a 90-mile radius of each other are usually excluded from the Passport Program. However, we have reciprocal admission agreements with some great museums within 90 miles of the Academy. Download a list of local museums that have reciprocal admission agreements with the Academy.
Other Important Information
Email and Online Information
Keep informed with the most up-to-date information about events and other important Academy news by signing up to receive emails and our monthly e-newsletter. If you do not currently receive member email updates, sign up today. Don’t forget to indicate your preferences so that we can keep you updated about programs and topics that are relevant to you. Member email addresses are not released for solicitation purposes.
More than 400 volunteers, from ages 14 to 80, contribute their time each year to further the Academy’s mission. We have volunteer opportunities in museum exhibits, administrative support, environmental programs, library support, and scientific research assistance. We also have opportunities for children to participate through family volunteering. View our full list of current volunteer opportunities, or call the Volunteer Office directly at 215-299-1029.
Give the gift of discovery to friends or family by purchasing a gift membership to the Academy! As a member of the Academy, your gift recipient will get 12 months of unlimited free admission to the Academy and special exhibits throughout the year. Your gift membership purchase is tax-deductible. You can buy your gift online or by calling the Membership Office at 215-299-1022.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can my nanny/babysitter/sister/parent use my member card to get into the museum?
- Academy memberships are nontransferable. Any adult using a member card to gain entrance into the museum must be listed on the member card. You may add an extra adult onto your membership for $20. You may make this addition on your next trip to the museum or by calling the Membership Office at 215-299-1022.
- Is my membership tax-deductible?
- Yes. The Academy of Natural Sciences is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization, and as such all contributions are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law. All memberships up to the $150 Supporting level are 100 percent tax-deductible. Membership levels above Supporting are partially tax-deductible. For more information about the tax benefits of your membership contribution, please contact the Office of Institutional Advancement at 215-299-1122 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Can I upgrade my membership during the year?
- Absolutely. You may upgrade your membership at any time by simply paying the difference between your current membership level and the level to which you would like to upgrade. Upgrade at the admissions desk on your next visit or by calling 215-299-1022.
- Can I still get into the museum if I forget my membership card?
- Yes. Please present a photo ID to the admissions clerk on your next visit and he or she will look you up in our database.
- How do I get a replacement membership card?
- If you need to request a replacement membership card, please call the Membership Office at 215-299-1022 or email us at email@example.com.
- I’m organizing a drawing or silent auction. How can I request a donation from the Academy?
- We process all donation requests through an online form. Please submit your request at ansp.requestitem.com and we will make every effort to fulfill it.
Thank you for your support of the Academy!